Volunteers make change happen.
Every hour of your time translates into more smiles and better health for children and their families.
Get involved and contribute to our sports, fitness and life-skills programs. If you share our passion, we want you on our side.
There are many opportunities for the public to get involved with Variety throughout the year. Variety actively encourages participation by its residensts in order to make our community a better place for all to live, work, learn and play. Read below for a list of available opportunities.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Rama Gaming House Customer Service Ambassador
Rama Gaming House – Toronto East, 3701 Danforth Avenue, Scarborough, ON M1N 2G2
July to November
Various shifts are available.
10:00am-12:00am, 7 days a week.
• Customer service
• Act as a charity representative
• Assist with clean-up
• Assist and support basic electronic bingo cards
•Assist in calling out bingo numbers (if applicable)
Variety Village, 3701 Danforth Avenue, Scarborough, ON M1N 2G2
July 3-Aug 25
8:45am – 4:15pm, 5 days a week.
• Team-designated hosts to and from games
• Opening ceremonies and banquet: set-up and clean-up
• Lunch assistance
• Games scoring assistance
HOW TO GET STARTED
Looking to help and give back to your community? Meet new people? Complete high school volunteer hours? Variety – the Children’s Charity of Ontario has a wide range of volunteer opportunities to match your passion, skills and schedule. We welcome and embrace individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and cultures.
Signing up to volunteer is a multi-step process. Everyone has different reasons and time commitment for volunteering and we want to make sure we know and meet yours. The steps that have been put in place not only ensure that you’re a good fit for us, but that we’re also a good fit for you!
Please fill out the Volunteer Application and email it to our volunteer coordinator Smeeta Sohanlal at firstname.lastname@example.org
“I came from the Netherlands to volunteer at Variety Village and helped out at the after-school program and the Lieutenant Governor’s Games. My time at the facility gave me more perspective on things most of us take for granted – it really opened my eyes, all while having fun with amazing and helpful staff. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for rewarding volunteer work!”
READY TO APPLY?
- Fill out a Volunteer Application Form. Once completed, please submit the form to the Volunteer Coordinator. All submitted forms will be reviewed by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Successful applicants will be contacted and invited for an interview.
- All volunteers are required to get a police check done. You can get one done at Variety Village for a $37.50 fee. Forms are available with the Volunteer Coordinator. You can also visit your local police station.
- Please provide us with 2 non-family members as your references. This could be a former employer, teacher, coach, etc.
- Upon successful completion of the above requirements, you will have to attend the Volunteer Orientation Session before placement. Volunteers must also attend an In-Service Training Session. These sessions will be scheduled by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Once all the process are completed, you will be place in your volunteer role based on the skills and requirements of the role.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the time commitment?
Depending on your availability, we have many opportunities to meet your needs:
One day, such as special events
Short term (3 months of less) such as camps and administrative projects
Long term (3 months or more) such as helping with our programs
What can I do as a volunteer?
We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities in special events, programs, camps and administration.
What’s the minimum age to volunteer?
The minimum age to volunteer at Variety Village is 15 years old.
Why do I need to get a police check?
You are required to get a police check because you will be working with people of all ages and abilities. You can get your police check done at Variety Village for $37.50 or you can visit your local police station.
As part of our new Plan to Protect Policy and Procedures at Variety Village, we are required from all volunteer under the age of 18 to get a police clearance letter, available through the Toronto Police, and online. The clearance will take about about 3-4 weeks to process.
Who do I contact if I have any more questions about volunteering?
Our Volunteer Coordinator welcomes any questions or feedback and will be happy to assist.
(416) 699-7167 ext. 239
CORPORATE VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES
Raise your team-building game. Help kids reach their potential while learning about accessibility through hands-on activities – including adaptive sport such as wheelchair basketball.